Penny Berry Paterson (1941 - 2021) was born at Tonbridge, Kent in 1941. Originally, Penny Berry Paterson, she was the daughter of James Paterson and his wife Florence A. née Taylor. Penny studied at Brighton Art School and the North East Essex School of Art. As Penelope J. Paterson, she married Kenneth R. Berry in 1886 and worked under the names of Penny Berry, and Penny Berry Paterson.
Penny went on to study printmaking as a mature student at the Colchester Institute after which she set up her own studio. In 1984 she joined the Suffolk Craft Society of which she became an honorary member and was also a founder member of 12 Printmakers and active in the Gainsborough's House Print Workshop.
Penny specialised in limited editions of original prints, often depicting colourful images inspired by coastal and nautical themes, architectural subjects, industrial buildings in particular and the Suffolk countryside. She produced mainly relief prints, using lino, card and wood.